Thursday 1 May 2014

Bubble Tea, Anyone?

Whenever I pick up a delivery menu at the bubble tea store, I actually take the time to read it and analyse it. Weird yes, but there are so many possibilities that can be created with these tapioca bubble things everyone is just so crazy about. It's a lucrative business, I tell you.

So it started off with milk tea with bubbles. Honestly, if it wasn't for the english and/or indians who magically decided that they wanted milk in their tea, this whole fad would have never existed. This is what I mean when I say weird things/habits have the scope of creating opportunities for future entrepreneurs. I mean literally, every time I open my instagram page I see at least a few posts dedicated to bubble tea from various places all around town. If you look up the hashtag #bubbletea, you'd be amazed. Moving on, we find other types of tea including the famous green tea which is known to make you slimmer. Yes, because adding several ladles of tapioca pearls, a big spoonful of sugar, and half the cup of ice would obviously trim that burger off your muffin top. Geniuses! Black tea, green tea, and flavours too now?! Let me start off with the fruits. Mango tea, orange tea, lemon tea, passion fruit tea, lychee tea, strawberry tea, grap tea, plum tea, peach tea, apple tea, mulberry tea, kumquat tea, ginger tea, roselle hawthornberry tea, honey aloevera tea, wintermelon t- ARE WE ON THE SAME PAGE HERE?! This is a boatload of variety! Who wouldn't wanna go to a store and stand there for fifteen minutes deciding if the matcha milk tea with grass jelly (I'm not even sure what this is) sounds better than the papaya tea with rainbow jelly and pearls?

Oh and speaking of toppings, let me give you a list of the toppings I've come across so far: black chewy bubbles of course, the mango version of the same, the lychee version of the same, aloe vera (I'm not even sure how they fit a giant thorn in the cup), egg pudding, caramel pudding, chocolate pudding, vanilla pudding, mango pudding, taro pudding, milk pudding, and red beans (I must stress on how weird this is since I'm used to having them the savoury way, but if that floats your boat then okay). Now let's move on to jelly (you jelly? Haha! Not funny? No? Ok), grass jelly (which isn't green, for all of you curious cats out there), coconut jelly (sometimes known as nata de coco), maple jelly, glassy jelly (lol whut?), coffee jelly, lychee jelly, rainbow jelly, and han tien jelly (which I'm guessing is some sort of taiwanese traditional jelly).

One of my favourite stores would be quickly, that's because (and I can't emphasise enough about this) of the fact that they have peppermint tea there, WITHOUT THE MILK. Do you know how good that makes your mouth feel? That's like a mint and a drink and a snack combined. So you could just walk up to a guy/girl holding a perfectly amazing chewable drink in your hands and your breath won't be all sweet and, well, humid!
Although contrary to this brilliant idea of theirs, there is one business venture I think every bubble tea shop is missing. It's no doubt that selling coffee there is a minor controversy everyone has their opinion about. According to me, they should sell coffee with bubbles! I don't know how it'd taste since I'm no aficionado of the bean, but then again, people like weird things. It's true! Who would've created the whole bubble tea fad otherwise? Imagine having a caramel machiato with some chocolate pudding below. Yes? No?

No comments:

Post a Comment